POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Re: Hi from DKBTrace author : Re: Hi from DKBTrace author Server Time
3 Sep 2024 00:16:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hi from DKBTrace author
From: Rune
Date: 20 Jan 2001 07:02:05
Message: <3a697e3d@news.povray.org>
"Chris Huff" wrote:
> The camera feature is just part of the portal patch,
> there are several others.

Great!

Here's a thing I've been thinking about. A "world" feature.

It would allow to split up a scene into different co-existing worlds. Each
world would have its own objects, light_sources, camera, sky_sphere,
background color and so on. One world would be completely unaffected by
things from the other worlds. That is, objets in world 1 would only be
affected by light_sources in world 1, the camera in world 1 would only see
the objects in world 1, and so on.

The different worlds would be connected by the portal features. So in world
1 you could have a TV showing things from world 2, and the scene in the TV
would be completely independent on the main scene and vice versa.

You could also make a portal from world 1 to world 2, and the two worlds
could be completely different.

But the feature could be used not only for special effects, but also for
useful everyday things:

Imagine having 3 worlds. World 1 and world 2 are the actual scenes. You want
to make an animation clip from scene 1 to scene 2, but it should be one of
those a smooth clips which gradually fades from one scene to the other. So
in world 3 you simply make a portal to world 1 and one to world 2 on top of
each other. Then you change the transparency of the upper portal texture
from 100% to 0%. And, see, you have a smooth gradient clip!

You could also use it to place a rendered object in front of your scene
*without* the object being affected by the perspective of the scene! So far
this has only been possible by using image_maps. It would also be easier
than ever to add signatures to your image from inside POV-Ray.

Do you understand what I mean? I think it would be *very* useful for *many*
things, but it would probably also be difficult to implement.

Rune
\ all be found at http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated January 6)
/ Also visit http://www.povrayusers.org